top of page
trucks in line_edited.png

How to Get Trucking Authority

Like many words in the trucking industry, motor carrier operating authority is used interchangeably with many other terms like; trucking authority, MC authority, DOT authority, MC Number, and USDOT Number. Most of the time, these terms are referring to the same thing.

So, what is operating authority?

Operating authority is required for most carriers who transport passengers or freight in interstate commerce. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is the government agency that regulates the trucking industry and grants active operating authority by issuing Motor Carrier (MC) and USDOT Numbers. MC and USDOT Numbers serve as unique identifiers for your trucking company and help the FMCSA conduct inspections, monitor your safety scores, maintain compliance reviews, and more.

How to Get Operating Authority

  1. Form Your Company *

    Before you start filing paperwork to get authority, you need to form your company, get your EIN number, and other business basics. Your new business requirements will vary based on your state and city. We can help you with this for $350 (this includes state fees)

  2. Apply for Authority with the FMCSA *

    It’s a long process, and you need to make sure you have all the information you need to get started. Don’t forget to verify if you need intrastate authority in your home state, too! We can do this for you for $499.00

  3. BOC-3 Processing Agent *                                                                                                                             All truckers for hire, brokers, or freight forwarders must file a BOC-3 (Process Agents) form with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) BEFORE their Authority will be issued.

  4. Get Insurance *

    Getting trucking insurance is often a big hurdle to get over for new trucking companies, so take your time to research this. Your authority will not be considered “active authority” without proof of insurance. Insurance rates can be very high. Get A Quote and talk to our truck insurance specialist about your company and plans to find the best insurance rates possible.

  5. Register for UCR

    UCR is the Unified Carrier Registration system, this is to fund states to enforce motor carrier safety laws. Fees due under the UCR are based on fleet size and must be renewed annually.

  6. Register for IRP

    The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a registration reciprocity agreement among them United States, Washington D.C., and Canadian Provinces providing for payment of fees based on an interstate carrier’s annual mileage in participating jurisdictions.

  7. Register for IFTA

    In relation to fuel purchases, interstate motor carriers are required to file IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) taxes on a quarterly basis through the taxing authority the carrier’s base state.

  8. Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

    If you own a vehicle with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more, you are required to file a Heavy Vehicle Use Tax return, or form 2290, with the IRS each year. In addition, there are four states that have additional weight distance taxes to haul within them. If you plan to haul regularly through Kentucky, New Mexico, New York, or Oregon, you’ll want to complete those registrations as well.


Sounds like a lot of paperwork, right? We can help. With our business experience for over 25 years, we can help you get active authority, and start hauling freight. We don’t offer a one-size-fits-all package, we’ll customize a program that fits your needs depending on the filings and registrations you need. Plus, we have extra resources and helpful information for you to get started on the right foot (wheel?).

We only assist with marked  ( * )


How Much Money Do You Need to Start a Trucking Company?

bottom of page